If you like chicken tikka masala then you will definitely love this recipe, it has mango that gives it a completely different taste all together.
Some preferences I have, I cook with olive oil because in my opinion it’s the healthiest, but you can use any you prefer. Also, I don’t like to cook with onions when making sauces instead I use garlic, a habit I picked up from an Italian acquaintance, she told me if you cook with olive oil and garlic the flavor of your food will pop! (yes I go around talking recipes with strangers) but feel free to use onion. (I have given the recipe with the onion because originally it calls for onion) Or try the garlic only and see if you get hooked too like me. Either way let’s not forget the star of the whole meal, is the Mango and of course the Chicken tikka. A key thing to mention though is garlic burns really quick so you don’t want to let it stay on the pan too long before you add your meat. If / when using Onions, sauté the onions completely then add in your garlic, sauté for an extra 2 minutes then add the meat. This is just to give you a sense on how long these different ingredients take to cook so you cannot burn anything. You can add water if it’s too thick for your taste, just check consistency.
Lastly don’t be intimidated by the long list of ingredients, it’s mostly just spices. This is actually something you can incorporate into your weekly meals.
- 2 chicken breast
- 100 ml yogurt
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic (4 if you don’t use onion)
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 inch chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 1 ,1/2 cups tomato purée (If using canned 2 tablespoons)
- 1 cup water(optional)
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream or half-and-half
- Black pepper
- 1 medium mango chopped/puree
Make the marinade:
- Add yogurt, lemon juice, turmeric powder, to a bowl with the chicken and refrigerate from 2hours to overnight.
- The chicken: Place on a baking sheet without the marinade, and bake for 30mins at 350 degrees Fahrenheit
The sauce: In a skillet, add olive oil and garlic (onions), sauté for about 4 minutes, add spices sauté for another 2 minutes, add the tomato puree, mango, cream and baked chicken. Add salt to taste, let simmer for about 10mins.
The Turmeric Rice Add 1 tablespoon Turmeric powder, some cloves (maybe 3) to your rice water before adding rice and let cook as you usually would.
Serve Chicken Tikka masala over rice and enjoy