Here is my easy fish masala recipe. It’s even easier if you have fish masala spice ready on hand but you know what? it’s really not that hard to make it. You just need to grind some mustard, If you have curry leaves you don’t even need the curry powder , just throw some in there, like 3 or 4. Some turmeric powder is always necessary for masala recipes. And it tastes really nice.
You can add coconut milk to make a rich masala sauce or without and it still tastes amazing!
This sauce can be used with bass fish fillet with or without the skin or mackerel .I hope you enjoy this and make it many times.
- Cooking oil for frying fish and cooking sauce
- 2 large fish fillets
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 2 fresh juicy tomatoes to be blended
- 1 can coconut milk
- Fish masala spice ;2 tablespoons coriander powder, 1 teaspoon ground mustard, 1 teaspoon curry powder , 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Chilli flakes or paste (depend on how hot you want it)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- Pour cooking oil in a pan and shallow fry the fish fillets, 2-3 minutes per side. Place separately on a plate.
- In your cooking pot add the cooking oil and the chilli (if you are using chilli). Add the onions + ginger and cook until the have wilted . Add the Spices and mix properly. Cook this for further 4 minutes let the spices intensify.
- Add the bell peppers and pour in the tomatoes . ( you can use tomato paste instead but this is healthier)
- Let this simmer for 5 minutes and Place the fish in the sauce. Pour in the coconut milk . Cover and let this simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Take off heat and serve. Perfect with some turmeric rice.