Yes we love sweet pancakes covered in cream cheese, Honey and strawberry sauce, but savory pancakes are also perfect especially for a brunch, you know when it’s too late for breakfast but too early for lunch, these are perfect.
If you haven’t tried them before, give them a chance, every day is an opportunity to learn new things and try new things, never put yourself in a box just because “that’s not the way something is meant to be done” or that’s how things are “supposed” to be done, Most of the time i discover great tasting food by just going bananas in the kitchen. Ok before this gets too deep, let me share the recipe first.
For the chives pancakes I seasoned the batter with black pepper and salt only, and added in chives. Holy Yum !such simple life pleasures. I found that these pancakes rather need some greasing of the pan in between cooking them.
Then the Bombay Aloo! The topping you could say of these pancakes. Bombay Aloo is an Indian side dish made from spiced potatoes. But in my kitchen this is breakfast. It is easy to make especially if you have boiled potatoes ready, shout out to people who meal prep.
- For the pancakes; 1 cup flour, 1 egg,1/2 teaspoon baking powder,1 bunch (about 3 tablespoons) chopped chives, 1/4 teaspoon salt , 1 cup milk
- For the Bombay Aloo;
- 6 potatoes washed and chopped
- Coriander chopped
- Chives chopped
- 1 large shallot
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 curry leaves black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Cayenne pepper (optional)
- Wash the potatoes very well, and chop them into same sizes, this helps it cook evenly.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water; make sure you can taste the salt in the water.
- Once the potatoes are boiled and cooked but still firm, Pour cooking oil in your pan and add onions. Cook the onions until very tender.
- Add the garlic, ginger, chives and spices and cook for 1 minute. Add the potatoes and stir and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Voila it’s done. Add the chopped coriander and serve with the pancakes
- For the pancakes;Mix the flour, salt, baking powder, egg, milk, and chives in a bowl and stir until no lumps. Grease your pan and pour batter in and move pan around to even out the batter on the pa. Cook until the pancake has dried and flip it then cook the other side. Grease the pan again and cook the next pancake do this until all the pancakes are cooked.