Let’s make Eggplant Thai Curry! It’s vegetarian actually even Vegan and easy to make and so delicious.
First things first, lets gather the ingredients;
You will need:
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 2 (Italian) Eggplants, I haven’t got a clue why these are called Italian eggplants, we’ll google that later.
- 1 red onion
- 50 grams Red Thai Curry paste, you might use any brand you find, so long as it’s the red Thai curry paste. Consisting of dried red chilli, garlic, lemongrass,shallot,salt , galangal, kefffir lime peel, coriander and cumin seed powder)
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 large tomatoes chopped up or blended
- Corriander to for garnishing
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
Chop your eggplants into 1″ cubes, chop onions, crush the garlic and blend the tomatoes or chop them up too.
In your cooking pan add 1 tablespoon vegetable cooking oil, (the one you prefer to use), and add in the chopped onions. Cook uncovered until browned stirring frequently to prevent burning.
Add the eggplants and garlic, stir properly and let the eggplants sweat. Don’t go too far from the pan because the eggplant could burn easily. They prefer a lot of oil in order not to burn but don’t worry just keep stirring and soon enough there will be some juices in the pan. This will take about 7 minutes.
Add the curry paste, tomatoes and turmeric powder. stir it in and cover. Let this cook covered.
When the tomatoes have cooked completely pour in the coconut milk and cover. Let simmer for 10 minutes, check for salt and add if needed.
Garnish with chopped coriander or chopped basil.
Serve with some rice/mashed potatoes.
There you go, enjoy this very tasty dish. I have said in previous curry recipes that curry is the best go to dish to make on any day. You can grab what you have in your freezer/pantry and just add some spices and voila! You can enjoy a nice home cooked meal.