V day is right around the corner, while it’s popular to go out for a romantic dinner how about a homemade meal for two and a homemade fancy dessert as well. I love Tiramisu and it’s my go to at home dessert as it is so easy to make, believe it’s unbelievably easy that you will never forgive a restaurant that serves you bad tiramisu again. Anyway let’s get to it.
Some Important tips:
- You can do this, relax and be very confident. Food can always sense fear, and if it does this will be ruined. So RELAX!
- when making the egg yolks (you will make them over steam), Never stop whisking, I repeat, NEVER stop whisking, you adjust your hand here and there but keep whisking. Don’t worry it only takes like 2 minutes .
- Use a different whisk for the egg yolks and the egg whites, Make sure the two don’t mix. Especially no egg yolk in the egg whites.have fun!
How to make Tiramisu
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 3 tablespoons marsala wine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 shots espresso/ strong brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Dark Chocolate for garnish
- Unsweetened Dark cocoa powder for sprinkling
- 12 lady fingers (more if using bigger ramekins/cups)
- First separate the eggs, Put the egg yolks in one bowl( one that can conduct heat). And the egg whites in another bowl. Make sure the two don’t combine. If they do start over.
- To the egg yolks, add the sugar, and place over steamer or boiling pot of water. It shouldn’t touch the water, just to heat from the steam coming from the water. Whisk continuously until the egg yolks have thickened, about 2 minutes.
- In the bowl of egg whites, beat the egg whites until frothy, fluffy and you can pick it up with the whisk.You can use a whisk or an electric egg beater.
- To the egg yolk mixture, add the mascarpone cheese and mix until smooth. Add the vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon marsala wine. Mix well.
- Fold in the egg whites int the egg yolk mixture, In 3 parts. Fold lightly don’t over mix . It should be airy. Just be very delicate and careful when doing this step.
- In your espresso or coffee add 2 tablespoons marsala wine and now assemble the tiramisu.
- First pour 1 tablespoon of the marscarpone mixture in the bowl/cup/ramekin. Then dip your ladyfingers in the coffee and place them on top. Then layer with more mascarpone mixture.Keep going until all is used up.
- Finish with mascarpone mixture on top . Refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, Take it out the fridge and sprinkle cocoa powder on top, and garnish with some shaved chocolate ( grate some chocolate on top)
- Serve and enjoy!
Additional InfoYou can use any cognac you want to use in place of marsala. For alcohol free tiramisu, don’t use eggs, instead use heavy whip cream with the mascarpone and proceed with the res of the recipe. You can increase the amount of ingredients and make individual cups of tiramisu for individual guests.