Have you had English Fish and chips? Actually I don’t think I need to say English fish and chips, I think we all just know. Growing up Fish and chips was the perfect kid meal to have at any restaurant, we always only had two options, fish and chips or chicken nuggets. Like do the kids not deserve variety or something? I will not subject this to my children! On that note this is not kid friendly fish and chips, because we use beer in the batter, but if you were to make this for kids, you can make the same but use milk for the batter instead of beer.
The flavor of the fish will greatly be altered by the batter, you will definitely be able to taste the difference.
As for the
fries, sorry these are chips! not french fries. I will be honest I don’t see the difference but it is claimed that chips are thicker than fries, so we will go with this. These are chips.
I will share with you the secret to having crispy on the outside chips but soft inside. First you should boil the chips for a few minutes, Then rinse with cold water to stop them cooking any further. Then you deep fry the chips about 7 minutes and let them cool. Then deep fry them a second time for about 3 minutes in very hot oil. They will be very crispy outside but soft inside since you boiled them first.
Serve this with ketchup, or any condiment you like and it is just perfect!
- Cooking oil for deep frying fish and chips.
- 1 can beer
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 4 haddock fish fillet
- 2 pounds russet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 egg
- pinch of salt
- Make batter: combine flour, baking powder, paprika, pinch of salt and mix well. Break an egg in and pour the beer in while you whisk ingredients together. Make it to a pancake like batter, it should be able to stick to the fish when it is dipped in.Refrigerate it/set aside for 10 minutes
- Heat the oil to 180 degrees celcius, and dip the fish in the batter, coating well, then carefully place in oil. If not using a deep fryer you can use a spatula or tongs to place fish in the oil.
- Cook each side for 7 minutes, until it browns and place on kitchen towel to drain off excess oil. Serve with chips.
- For chips: Scrub potatoes and peel if you like them peeled. Cut potatoes into 1 inch chips, Boil for 5 minutes, Rinse in cold water, pat dry and deep fry for 7 minutes. If you want them extra crispy , deep fry for extra 3 minutes. Drain on kitchen towel and serve with fish.